Mrs. Karen DiSano has been teaching at Smithfield High School for fourteen years. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Rhode Island. She has extensive teaching experience teaching in the following school districts: Putnam, Ct., Foster Glocester, RI, Barrington, RI, and Burrillville, RI. Her certifications are in Family and Consumer Science and Early Childhood.
- Professional- Food Safety Manager Certification
- Dept. of Education Rhode Island Early Learning Standards Trainer Certification
- Dept of Education Rhode Island Early Learning Standards Introduction Certification
- Dept of Education Rhode Island Early Learning Standards Level 1 Certification
- Member National Association for Education of Young Children
- Member Rhode Island Association for Education of Young Children
- Teaching the following courses at SHS: Careers in Child Care, Teaching Children, & Adults, Child Care II Honors, and Food, Nutrition and Wellness.
- Co-Advisor National Honor Society.
- Coordinator of the Smithfield High School Playschool program.
Mrs. Mary Richards (aka Ms. Rich) has been teaching Family & Consumer Science for 23 years. Twenty two of those years have been in the Family & Consumer Science Department at Smithfield High School. She received both her Bachelor of Science degree and her Teaching Certification from the University of Rhode Island. During the 2012-2013 school year Mrs. Richards will be teaching Child Development& Human Relations, Food, Nutrition & Wellness, Culinary Arts/Foods II, and Textiles, Clothing, & Fashion. To continue to bring to the classroom the most current information to her students Mrs. Richards holds certificates from R.I.D.E. R.I. Early Learning Standards and R.I.D.O.H. Food Safety Management. She is also the coordinator of Smithfield High Schools’ Sentinel Café.
Mrs. Francine Norton joined the Smithfield HS family in January 2012 as a part-time Family and Consumer Science Teacher with three sections of Senior Survival. She returns to us again on a part-time basis teaching three courses in the FCS curriculum. Originally from New York, Ms. Norton graduated from Nassau Community College with an Associates Degree and then from the State University College of NY at Buffalo with a BS in education. She worked 8 years at Cumberland High School, spent a year in CT and has a total of 17 years of teaching experience from NY, Virginia and Massachusetts. Rhode Island has been her home for 16 years and she spends her time with wonderful friends, her two grown sons and has a variety of interests. Her students are like family to her and she loves Family and Consumer Science and feels strongly about continuing to have all subjects in this area continued at the high school level.