Attention Class of 2022! We need your voice. If you are interested in being a student liaison on the Smithfield School Committee please read the information below and apply.
The Smithfield School Committee supports the inclusion of high school student representatives to the School Committee each year. The student representatives will serve in a nonvoting capacity, although they will be encouraged to weigh in on all matters of concern to the student body. The student representative shall attend business meetings and shall be encouraged to attend workshop meetings. The students shall act as liaisons between the School Committee and the student body. The student representatives shall be excluded from executive sessions.
Each May, a student representative (liaison) to the School Committee will be selected to replace an outgoing representative. The process for this selection will be as follows:
1. The principal will notify students of the process for student liaison selection through an assembly or other appropriate means.
2. An application packet, approved by the superintendent, shall be completed by the applicants.
4. All applications shall be reviewed by a selection committee composed of a School Committee member, the high school principal, a social studies teacher and superintendent. A current liaison may also be invited to take part in the selection process.
5. The selection committee may, in its discretion, choose to interview finalists before their decision is made.
6. The selection committee shall use the following criteria in making the selection:
Demonstrated leadership through other positions in student organizations
Demonstration of Smithfield High School’s learner qualities.
Membership in the Sentinel Advisory Council and/or School Improvement Team is preferred.
7. The selection committee may, in its discretion, chose to leave the position vacant.
1. A student liaison shall make an earnest effort to attend all business meetings of the School Committee. The appointment as a student liaison is a commitment and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.
2. Student liaisons are responsible for preparing any needed materials for the meetings. This could include speeches, essays, research, or statements.
3. Student liaisons are responsible for communicating actions made by the School Committee to the student body, as appropriate.
4. The same standards for attendance apply for student liaisons as for School Committee members. Should a vacancy be declared in accordance with policy BBBDA, the school committee chairperson will decide if a replacement will be made based upon the length of the term that remains.
THE SELECTION COMMITTEE WILL CHOOSE ONE RISING JUNIOR (2022) IN AUGUST 2020.